Fiscal Year 2007/2008
SEAMEO BIOTROP as a host institution of RCE Bogor has been conducting several activities related to community development and education for sustainability development. Several stakeholders' meetings have been conducted resulting the willingness of the stakeholders to take part in action in the domain of ESD. At the moment, RCE Bogor stakeholders consist of Municipality of Bogor, research centres, selected public and private primary and high schools, NGOs and business enterprises. Ministry of Men Power and Transmigration has included the activities related to ESD in cooperation with RCE Bogor.
Internally, at SEAMEO BIOTROP Campus, a pilot project: "the Green and Clean" activity by managing our organic waste from the canteen has been conducted. We separate our waste to compost the organic matter. A technology for managing waste from Bogor market using worms has been applied. This programme is the continuation of the cooperation programme with municipality of Bogor since 2004.
An agribusiness workshop focusing on Floriculture was conducted at SEAMEO BIOTROP on 1 May 2007. Dr Benny Tjia from PT Mandiri Jaya Tropika (private enterprise) presented his experienced in the floriculture business. The workshop was attended by 26 (twenty six) participants from government agencies, private enterprises, and farmers.
On 2 August 2007, a seminar on "Education for Sustainable Management" was conducted. Forty-five participants from SEAMEO BIOTROP (staff and scientists), IPB staff, IPB students, private enterprises and senior high school teachers attended the seminar. The resource person for this seminar was Mrs Tri Mumpuni from People Cantered Business and Economic Institute (IBEKA) based in Bandung. Mrs Tri Mumpuni and her team have successfully implemented numerous electrification projects, which resulted in more than 50 villages in remote parts of Indonesia having access to electrical power. She shared her expertise in the seminar by initiating a forum on energy efficiency and conservation in Indonesia and how to work with media on an accurate coverage of energy issues.
Mrs Tri's community-based hydro electrification scheme is bringing electricity to the 75 million rural Indonesians currently without it. Indonesian communities have experimented with small-scale hydropower generation in the past, but the technology's scalability has been limited by financial and regulatory obstacles. She launches community-based off-grid hydro systems, which she then connects with the state-run electricity company. This attractive business model draws private investors to provide the initial funding for the hydropower system in partnership with the community, allowing her to rapidly spread her model across Indonesia.
On 28 May 2008, a training on organic farming, focusing on "Organic Farming Activities at School Garden" was conducted for science school teachers. Thirteen various school teachers (primary, junior, high and special schools), including private schools participated in the training. The school teachers agreed to insert practical activities such as organic farming in their teaching. A request on curriculum design for biology has been raised from this training. RCE Bogor and SEAMEO BIOTROP will be the host and the facilitator to fulfill this demand.
|Training on "Organic Farming Activities at School Garden" to Science School Teachers
The seminar on Education for Sustainable Development I: Environmental Conservation and Economic Value Added of Waste was jointly organized by RCE-Bogor and SEAMEO Regional Centre for Tropical Biology on 19 June 2008 at SEAMEO BIOTROP, Bogor. The seminar was attended by 90 participants i.e. high school teachers, college students, and private sectors.
A keynote paper entitled "Urban Waste Management Model and Economic Valuation of Waste" was presented by Dr Hartrisari H, BIOTROP Enterprise Development Centre Unit Head. She concluded that urban waste management model could be used to predict the amount of waste related to the total allocated funds for waste transportation. In addition, Dr Hartrisari explained that waste management model could also be used as a tool for policymaking in the management of urban waste.
Fiscal Year 2008/2009
The objectives of the community involvement programmes conducted by SEAMEO BIOTROP are:
- To improve community welfare through introduction of simple applied technology to generate additional income.
- To promote education for sustainable development.
- To strengthen the collaboration between SEAMEO BIOTROP with the community around the Center and beyond.
Several community involvement programmes have been conducted during the fiscal year 2008/2009, such as training courses on:
- Tissue culture techniques
- Organic farming in the limited area of land and biophores as the alternative of soil conservation
- Technique of composting from domestic waste
- Organic farming at school and education for sustainable development concept and analysis
Training Courses on Organic Farm
- Organic farming focusing on rice productivity
- Establishing collaboration with a private company managing an industrial park (Karawang International Industrial City), Bogor Agricultural University, SEAMOLEC, and SEAMEO TROPMED RCCN UI to conduct community programme for 5 villages around the working area of the company
- Fruit chips agro-industry
- Aromatic distillation agro-industry
- Scientific drawing programme for orphans and disabled children around Bogor City
- Catfish farming technique on knock-down ponds
- Oyster mushroom production
MOU signing on Community Development between BIOTROP, SEAMOLEC, TROPMED Indonesia, Bogor Agriculture University and Karawang International Industrial City
Scientific Drawing Programme for orphans and disabled children
Other activities related to community involvement were:
- Blood donation
- Food Stuff Bazaar
- Mass Circumcisions
A total of 332 people attended the various training courses listed above. They are:
- High school teachers
- University students
- Children from orphan houses
- Disabled children from various primary schools
- Farmers and community members from different villages mainly from around the SEAMEO BIOTROP
The community involvement programmes have been conducted with support of various institutions, i.e.:
- Bogor Agricultural University
- Research Center for Biology and Genetic (BALITBIOGEN)
- Bandung Institute of Technology
- SEAMEO TROPMED RCCN UI
- Private companies,i.e. Sari Sehat Multi Farms (producing mushroom and herbal drinks), and Karawang International Industrial City (an industrial park)
Fiscal Year 2009/2010
The Community involvement programme for fiscal year 2009/2010 will be consisted of:
- Continuation programmes, including: training on tissue culture, catfish farming, organic farming, and mushroom farming.
- Strengthening the implementation of the community involvement programme in collaboration with Karawang International Industrial City, SEAMOLEC and SEAMEO TROPMED RCCN UI
- Launching of special programme on sorghum based community development for food, feeds, and bio-energy production for community in remote area in collaboration with the Ministry of Research and Technology, Mining and other companies
- Improvement of demonstration plots to support community involvement programmes, such as permanent plot for organic farming, fish ponds, and mushroom production houses